Thursday, June 28, 2007

Well thanks to my friend Lori's recommendation and my friend Donna's purchase and delivery I am presently reading "Irresistible Revolution" and it's a MESS YOU UP book.



Read this quote last night and thought it beared repeating and some serious thought from at least this heart.



"We are called to play the Good Samaritan on life's roadside...but one day we must come to see that the whole Jericho road must be transformed so that men and women will not be constantly beaten and robbed. True compassion is more than flinging a coin to a beggar. It comes to see that a system that produces beggars needs to be repaved. We are called to be the Good Samaritan, but after you lift so many people out of the ditch you start to ask, maybe the whole road to Jericho needs to be repaved." -- Martin Luther King --



It seems that God is bringing so many things across my path. The death of a dear friend in an impoverished land, seeing 8 year old little boys on the streets selling their last 3 bags of bananas at 10 pm at night, reading books where God is revealing to other people ways of living that resonate with my heart, reading the Scriptures and realizing that the same God who said repent and be baptized also said sell everything you have and give it to the poor and His Son who spent most of His life teaching us a counterculture way to live in the kingdom of Heaven NOW.



Makes me wonder what changes need to be made in my own life and what changes I could help to make that would produce the qualities of this kingdom of Heaven that is capturing my heart and making more sense than anything else has in a while.



I highly recommend this book...by the way!!! Blessings on your day dear ones...

3 comments:

Karen Burnfield said...

I agree Jenn! Ashley had asked me to send it and I got me one too. I finished it and it is wonderful. It was too much to take in one read, so I'm starting over! Hope you are well. Miss you all bunches. Take care. Love ya =)

Lori said...

I have already read it twice and I still keep going back and re-reading parts. But Jenn you are right there is a relazation that the "road needs repaving" and that starts with me! How I live, the choices I make. I have come to realize that I am part of the problem...I want to be part of the re-paving!

Anonymous said...

OK, I said I wasn't going to do this, but you leave me no choice especially after our conversation the other day. Would you like to update this blog some day??!!! That is, if you can pick yourelf up from the hammock in Utila. At least we've gotten to talk to you in the last three weeks, but some folks like Burnfield would like to know what's going on the in the world of Jen. That should be enough grief for now and you know it was all spoken in love!!

Your big brother.