Monday, August 31, 2009

"I've heard people say that it isn't good to give money to homeless people because "they'll just spend it on alcohol." I used to agree. Now I'm realizing, it isn't about how they use my money... it's about how they use the feeling they get when they are shown compassion. I'll pay a few bucks to send the message that someone cares... regardless of how they spend it" - Francis Chan

I'm gnawing on this and putting a hearty AMEN on his sentiment. God never asked us to weigh their ethics or integrity or try to make distinction about who "really" needed it and who didn't. You know why is it that we feel such a need to justify our lack of desire to help sometimes?? I'm guilty. Repenting and guilty.

My job is to attempt to live in line with His kingdom order, elevating those who are outcast, unloved, not accepted, impoverished, oppressed, those who are having the hope squished out of them.

It never ever was about whether they use it to buy alcohol or not. It never ever was about it being "MY" money come to think of it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen sister!!! :) We discussed this in small group last night! Sharon Mc