Wednesday, October 25, 2006

And Then There Were TEN...

Well we pulled into Casitas Kennedy about 2 pm today and met with the lady we have started working with there that we now believe is a saint...Marta Elisia is her name and she is the social worker who is handling our cases now. She is kind and doesn't push and we are appreciating that so much!!!

They told us to sit down and they'd bring the kids in in just a few minutes and so we sat and waited and one by one they started to file through the door. Fernando and Cindy came first. Fernando had two little backpacks with a few clothes in them and the rest of them came with the clothes they had on their backs. NOTHING else!! Then the rest followed shortly behind. By the time we were ready to leave the place they had the biggest grins on their faces and we were all playing and having a great time.

We got back to Casa about 5 and the boys all came running, sprinting might be a better word to meet the new kiddo's that would now be living with them. I totally underestimated our boys...I really did. They have been awesome today. Yovani has helped with everything. He helped me unload every grocery and put it away. He helped dry the dishes after supper. Mario, as soon as Fernando got out of the car he took him by the hand and led him over to the playground and showed him how to use the two person swing. Antonio and Katie have been walking around hugging all night. Marvin has just been walking around grinning trying to decide who he wants to play with and changing his mind often. Francisco is his usual joyful self and just is laughing and hugging on and gave everyone a kiss today as they got out of the van. Melt my heart!! Anyway, for a first day it went well what's the wording...beyond anything we could ask or imagine as far as the boys taking them in.

Logistically things didn't necessarily go that smooth but hey can't have everything huh...we knew that the girls had lice because when we were there the other day I could see it in their hair. What we didn't know was that they had it HORRIBLE. As standard procedure when we take the kids in we give them a lice treatment and shower when they first come in regardless and check them for scabies. So we did that and they were all clean and smelled good, which is a very welcome change from what they smell like when they first come, and we sat down to brush the girls hair out and when I started brushing Monica's hair, bugs fell all over her shoulders, I mean tons of them!!! So we cut her hair VERY short tonight...thanks to Deborah the newfound beautician.

So please pray for that...I HATE bugs, especially ones that would like to make a home in my hair or on my body!!! OOOOHHHH!!!!

Some of you undoubtedly are thinking oh Jen we didn't need to know all of that, and I guess I would just say to that I disagree. I think it is important that you understand what these kiddo's are being brought out of with your help. Unfortunately bugs crawling in their head so bad that they have scabs because they've scratched their heads raw is minor, but it gives you something to relate to. Look at the closest 5 year old to you and ask yourself if they have ever known what it means to live with bugs crawling all over them in urine soaked clothing and put it into perspective with something you can relate to. Sometimes we dismiss it so easily with a "that's just the way they live over there" and I so pray for our mindset to change on that. Cause "there" could just have easily been where we come from. They certainly didn't choose this.

So they're all showered and tucked into their little beds for the night and I pray sleeping so soundly under those comforters my sweet friend bought. We said our prayers tonight and that was just fun to watch new little heads bow and to think about all the God moments we'll get over the next few months and years that we have with them. To know that they will hear God's name spoken often does something for my heart.

Have walked around kinda weepy today...these bringing kiddo's home days tend to do that to me, but today I cannot get out of my head the fact that this has so many spiritual parallels. I have looked up to the sky probably 10 times today and thought God this is the best visual picture I've had in a while. Cause someday this girl is gonna be taken home. I mean really home. I will no longer feel like an orphan in this world waiting for where I really belong. I'll go home and my Father will wash the stink of this world off. I'll have a Jesus shower, so to speak, and I'll get Jesus chosen clothes to put on. Yep tears yet again. I'll get a brand spankin new robe. I will be clean, I will smell good, and I will be in a place where there is nothing but love and goodness present. I look at these sweet little faces and I can't help but see my face in them in some ways. Just waiting for "home."

Thank You Father that one of these days every single one of us will get to walk through Your door and we'll come in with nothing and you will clean us up and wash us off and you'll give us brand new clothes...because Your Son made all of that possible. We love you and we are humbled by the ways You choose to reveal Yourself to us. Thank You for showing up in some little faces today that have shown me You in precious ways.

1 comment:

Kay Grose said...

Amen, dear one, and amen!