Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Having a Moment...

Well it's Tuesday night and the group has officially been gone for a few days now and I've had a few days to get over the tears and process through the couple weeks I was privileged to spend with them and reflect over the thousand memories that came about in such a short time when we all worked together for the same purpose. It's amazing how that happens and a team forms. All of us from different places, different histories, different vocations, and some of us even different groups we affiliate with religiously. Yet in this brief encounter the ground is level and we each meet in a place called service. One of the most humbling yet rewarding places I've ever spent time.

It happened this week as I saw 40 some different hearts all bring themselves to this place and offer their hearts and their hands in His service to the precious people of this land. It took on a variety of forms and I witnessed it on a thousand faces, but you served these people and you served them well.
One of the neatest things we were able to do this year was to have a "service day" at a couple different church buildings, where we washed feet and fit them for new shoes, handed out clothes for them and their children, and gave them bags full of food that would feed their family for 2 weeks. All of it was precious, but I'm telling you there was something that happened in that foot washing station that led our hearts straight to the Savior. It humbled you to tears to sit down on that concrete floor and watch these sweet women come through the line who probably walked miles and stood in line for hours to get some food for their families. They had no idea that when they walked through the door someone would wipe off their feet, another would wash them, and someone would take five minutes of their day to rub lotion on their calloused, blistered, weary feet. I promise you that as those women came in there and were somewhat embarrassed to sit down in those chairs, they were met with some of the kindest eyes and reminders that God loved them. I'll never forget this sweet lady who may have been mid 20's who came in and sat herself down in that chair. She made it through the first station, but when she got to the bowl with the water and someone began to wash her feet tears started streaming down her face. The ladies working the stations couldn't understand what she was saying and so I went over and wrapped my arm around her and asked her why she was upset. Her comment to me will stick with me for the rest of my days. She said, "Jesus did this for His disciples, I don't deserve this." I don't know what her past held, what present situation she found herself in, or where the tears came from exactly. I couldn't pretend to understand all that she was saying, but I did understand that this heart got it. For a few isolated moments in this day, this young gal understood where the service really was coming from. I looked her square in the eye and said, "you are precious to Him and He wanted us to do this for you today."

I won't quickly forget the little lady who came in who was 84 either. Her face wrinkled with years of a life most of us will never ever know. Each wrinkle earned, each bunyon on those feet from miles and miles and miles of life. The sweetest smiles I have ever seen and as I watched a couple of the gals take those fragile yet tremendously strong feet and attempt to wash them through the tears in their eyes it was a sight that touched you to your toenails. It was beautiful!!

Think this picture so represents what I saw so many people do over the past two weeks. You came to a country not your own, you did things that were uncomfortable, that were humbling. You were willing to get dirty, wear yourself out for the sake of someone else, and all the while I saw you smiling.

To my Belpre family, and the other precious precious folks who were willing to join us...I was honored, privileged, and delighted to serve with you. You are precious to my heart and watching you serve these people I have grown to love so much and devote my life to touched me more than you will ever know. Each time you held one of these children, or held a momma while she hurt for her children, every single time you packed a food bag or hammered a nail, every moment that you offered your heart and your self for Jesus you washed His feet with your selfless hearts and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of that.

May God continue to bless your servant hearts. You make me proud to know you and call you my "peeps." Love you bunches!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey... how about we move it along on responding to emails. It's been like 5 minutes now and you should be on top of it already.... Unless you just weren't being sincere about what you said. ;)

Jeff said...

By the way, I expect a full report about you insane girls and your trip to El Salvador. And I just want you to realize that you're all crazy... my ears are still ringing from the phone being screamed in. haha.