Thursday, May 11, 2006

Expectations...

I am learning so much about expectations right now...the fact that things often don't meet up to our expectations, that we have unrealistic ones sometimes, that we get so disappointed because they're unmet. There have been some difficult moments in the waiting, where what I expected this to look like and be haven't so much come true. I find myself frustrated sometimes and then I question whether it's my expectations that were skewed or what is behind the frustration. So while there have been some things that haven't been what I expected...let me just share with you a few blessings that haven't been what I expected either.

1) I never expected that I would drive down one of the roads here almost every day and get as excited to see my friend Miguel who stands out there begging on the street with his crutches and one leg who got all teary eyed one day when we talked about how good God was, as I do some of my very best friends in all the world. I never expected that his smile and his fifty some year old hand reaching out to slap my hand every single time I drive by would bring me so much joy. I never expected to become friends with a beggar.

2) I never expected to have ladies who work with us every single day who are joyful and wonderful reminders of the blessings God has planned all along the way. I never expected to have Daisy show up every day with her silly giggle just thrilled to be here with us. I never expected her to stay up all night some nights as she watches to make sure we're safe, with never a dime of pay for that, solely because of her love for us for whatever reason. I never expected to be loved so selflessly by these people we hired to help us who have now become our family.

3) I never expected to hear this sweet little voice every single day run up to give me the hugest hug and in our daily repetition I will say, "I love you Christian" and in response in the cutest voice you've ever heard he says, "mucho mucho" with a grin all across his face. I never knew how to expect the pure beauty of those precious moments.

4) I didn't expect to inherit another sister with brown skin when I met miss fabiola...but I did and the blessings of that are beyond number. I never knew that coming here and needing a lawyer would mean I would be granted such a precious friendship. I never expected the gift of that.

5) I didn't expect to be taught so much and humbled so often by the gal I am privileged to work beside in this ministry. I didn't know how often her gentle spirit would remind me of Jesus and his call to our hearts.

6) I couldn't have expected to learn how much being away from so many people you love grows your appreciation for being able to be near them. I didn't expect to be taught so many lessons through that.

You know the truth of the matter is I still have a God who does things far beyond anything I know to expect and even in the middle of some frustrating waiting, He's still blown me away by His kindness. It's important that I remember that!

3 comments:

kdv4jc said...

I didn't expect to be working with such an amazing person like you! You are good stuff! Thanks! Know i love you mucho mucho!!!!

Kay Grose said...

The adopted momma has tears streaming this morning because those are the words of a daughter who is describing a life that is truly learning to "live above". Always and forever, dear one, always and forever.

Jeff said...

Hope you and Karen have fun with yo mommas this week. :) And don't forget that YOU are an unexpected joy to all of those people that get to see you, and all of those kids that have to opportunity to be loved by you. ;)