Tuesday, July 11, 2006

To My Brother...

Joe,

I've sat down to write this letter probably 5 times now and I'm having the hardest time coming up with the right words. It's just that there's so much left to say and no words left to say all of it with. Looked at the calendar yesterday and realized that in two weeks this chapter of life as it is now will be behind you and while I know the things you're moving on to have totally captured your heart, as is evidenced by that ever present grin on your face, there's gonna be a HUGE void here and think you should know it.

Joe, when you moved out to Santa Ana, I know you weren't crazy about the idea. You didn't want to be so far out of the city, it wasn't nearly as convenient, and I totally understand all of that. I am so incredibly grateful that you did however. In those couple months I gained a brother. Not just a friend that you really enjoy hanging out with and spending time around, but a brother that if ever given a choice I'd lay in the middle of the road for. In a few short months God has done this really cool thing and He's just sort of taken some hearts that love this place a whole bunch, put them together in the same place for a bit and formed a community that has taught me a thousand lessons.

Joe we've laughed together, we've cried together, we've prayed together, we've built together, we've planned trips together, we've loved on kiddo's together, and there will always be a trillion memories here that will have your heart attached to them.

Won't be able to build a house here without thinking about your selfless service you offer in your quiet and humble way as you lead and guide "newbies" who've never helped to put a roof over a Honduran families head before.

Won't be able to look at these little guys and hear them say "Tio Jose" without seeing your face and remembering how much they adore you already in just a weeks time.

Won't be able to see the words "El Rey" and not chuckle under my breath remembering how many times we've laughed and just enjoyed life together, and how many times you patiently took my ribbing when I chose to dish it out.

Won't ever sit on our back porch without thinking about hours and hours spent out there talking about life and what God was teaching us and realizing that hours spent out there nestled you way down deep into this heart.

Won't look at many children without seeing visions of you throwing them up in the air, being scared to death you'd drop one anytime and then watching them ask you to do it again and again and again.

But perhaps the thing I'll remember most about you being here my brother is the way I watched you bend down a thousand times to a hurting soul...old young or in between and love people like Jesus. You never did it for a pat on the back, you never bragged after it was done. Most often I watched you walk away with a tear in your eye and a burden on your heart - think Jesus probably did too. You offered your life here with a sweet humility and had every opportunity to become prideful or calloused to much of it and even now I watch your heart still be able to be broken.

Your love for this place Joe is inspiring not just to me buddy but to so many of my friends from home who have come to know and love you, to teams who come every summer who have been blessed by your servant heart, and countless others that it would be impossible to name.

So Joe this letter isn't just mine. It's from all of us, who've been blessed to be among you, to serve beside you, to journey with you. Thank you for everything you offered in His name here...much of which you'll not see the benefits of until Heaven I feel sure. It will be a beautiful sight to watch some brown eyes and brown skin folks walking up to you there and thanking you for showing them Him.

You are indeed the "brother I always wanted." Thankful that because of this year we've gotten to spend here, you're the brother I'll now get to keep.

I love you buddy and I wish you all the very best life has to offer. Wherever the road leads next, they're way blessed to get your heart.

We'll miss you so very very much!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to second this one. You touch hearts and effect people in ways you will probably never know. You teach without words, and can not be forgotten.

Anonymous said...

I read this and know exactly what you mean Jen. I was lucky enough to get him for over 2 years. The good and the bad....jk hahaha I love all of your hearts and will miss you all dearly. you guys are making me tear up. stop it!!!!! lymib, gena