Thursday, March 16, 2006

I Still Thirst Too...

I sat down to read a friends blog yesterday and was just way touched by his honesty. In one simple sentence I think he summed it up well..."I've been a little dry lately too." Didn't pretend to be something he wasn't. Didn't act as though because he was attempting to serve God in this foreign country that is a privilege (and he knows that) that he felt full and on fire for Jesus every minute of the journey. Didn't pretend he didn't get weary. Just honest.

You know there are a couple words that I'm learning to love with all of my heart...honest is one of them. Real another.

You know what happened when I read that one sentence on his blog yesterday. It allowed me to say yep me too. God I am sorry but I have been too, fill me back up. That's what being real does. It gives others permission to be honest too.

I think we have a huge responsibility to help one another be real. Not by the ways we've necessarily attempted to do it as we brutally beat one another with our words, then with His words, and end up with a bitter distaste of what "religion" can sometimes become. I think we help each other be real by being real. Being honest. Being humble. Letting others in to where our hearts rest so they know the world won't crumble if tomorrow they admit that they don't have it all together either and wish they could do better.

Truth is...I get dry. I don't want to, wish that I didn't but I do. I don't walk this calling out well at every moment. I still complain when I shouldn't, I get scared when I don't need to, I get frustrated and angry with people and I am hesitant to let it go and love them, I want to go home some days when being so far away is super difficult. It's true ya know, we all do get dry. And you know what's better. That's ok. I think God appreciates our honesty cause it drives us to know we need a drink.

God we come again today admitting we still thirst...we long for Heaven in a world that is anything but. Oh there are glimpses of it here but there are scenes wrenched with pain as well and questions we can't answer, problems we can't solve, and sometimes amid all of our effort and our trying to do it all right we forget where to go to fill up. Maybe not even forget sometimes. Maybe just don't create time to do it. Maybe the world makes it difficult to do that. I don't know God. Here's what I do know. I need you. Not just want you around. Not just think life would be better with Your blessing and approval. I am desperate. I need You!!! We need You!!! Father help us to live with that stamped on our forehead, imprinted on our hearts, and lived out by our lives. Desperate for God. Nothing without Him. Thank You for creating within us a place that reminds us when we're thirsty for some time with our Father. That place that feels dry and leaves us longing for a drink. May we drink deeply from the well of Your love today God. Thanks for granting us open access anytime we humbly come realizing we'd die of thirst without it. We thirst for You, plain and simple that's it.


Thanks Joe for being honest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

think i'll be listening to some cece this afternoon - not so bad to thirst as long as we are thirsting for father - keeps us longing for him - thanks for touching my heart with yours once again - love you!