Tuesday, September 20, 2005

Tupelo Here I Come

Leaving tonight for a trip to meet with some sweet people in Tupelo MS. They have been a God send as they have collected children's clothes and shoes and a Christmas tree and a thousand other things to give to the children's home. It has been a delight to have them call and hear them get so excited about all that they've seen come in from willing vessels who are being used in beautiful ways in this ministry.

I'm looking forward to thanking them face to face. My cousin is traveling with me and we're driving through the night tonight to get there. It's gonna be a super short trip as we'll be coming home on Thursday so keep us in your prayers as we travel.

I've prayed a lot this week about the presentation I will be asked to give tomorrow night. Seems a little bit awkward to be presenting on the needs in Honduras when there are so many people within the state of Mississippi right now who are enduring really difficult things. I heard God say at some point today, "Jen they're all my kids and I need you all to be my hands and my feet to take care of all of them." Sometimes we view things as "us" and "them" when it comes to "mission work." I am beginning to believe that's not just wrong, it's ungodly. We're all His. Period.

I've heard several people say "well I don't understand why you feel the need to go over there when there are people right here in this country who need help." Whewwww, I would never disagree with that statement...and I trust in His ability to touch hearts to minister right here in the good ole USA. I just am not sure when God looks He gives one care whether I'm an American or a Honduran or a Lithuanian. I think He looks and sees that I'm a Christian and He says "I have some kids over here who need some help, will you?" I get the choice to come alongside His amazing plans or to stay right where I am comfortable and miss out on the adventure of reckless abandon with Him. I pray that my allegiance to this country never gets in the way of my allegiance to my God and I pray yours doesn't either. There are people here who need help and until my dying day I'll do my best to help them with all that is in me but NOT because they are an American and that happens to be my nationality...because they're human and that happens to be God's passion and what He's asked me to be passionate about.

I want to reframe this whole idea in my mind. I want God to help me just see people. Just objects of His affection wherever they may be. I pray that for all of us.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
PELAN said...

Jen,

I totally agree with you! I am 100% positive that GOD will use you to bless so many children.

My respect to ANYBODY that blesses ANY child from ANY nationality. These children WILL remember you forever and you WILL shape so much of their future!

Loves you,

Esperanza