Friday, June 24, 2005

ran away for a little while...

In this little 25 verse book tucked in near the end of the New Testament there is a verse that has often jumped off the page as I've read through the book of Philemon. It's so simple yet it compels my heart and my mind to ponder... and in it's simplicity it reads, "Onesimus ran away for a little while, so you could have him back forever." Paul is pleading with Philemon and a few other "soldiers of the cross" to take in Onesimus as if Paul himself were coming to them. It's a beautiful, I believe in and love this guy and he is a changed man, passage.

It not only reminds me of how brokenness had to occur in my life as I walked away for a little while to realize that there was nowhere in this world that I would rather be than in the arms of Jesus, but about my responsibility to be a Paul and give broken people the freedom to fail and find God's love in my presence as they seek to be the people they really truly want to be. You have anyone you love who has walked away for a little while, perhaps a lot longer "while" than you ever thought possible. The waiting is so hard, I'm not dismissing that. I'm simply offering myself and anyone else who is graciously reading any of this, a reminder from the powerful life speaking word of God that I believe there are times when walking away for a little while allows us to come running back to Jesus forever. I've heard several testimonies lately that bear witness to this fact. Thank you to those of you who are sharing from deeper places than we sometimes offer to share.

Hang on my dear friends, pray your hearts out, continue to plead with God to claim places those we love are not allowing Him access to, but hold onto the hope this verse offers in the fact that running away for a while often only means we come running back fast for forever. Thank you Lord for being patient and for loving relentlessly and thank you to you "soldiers of the cross" who fought for my soul on this earth and loved with His heart.

From a heart that ran back for every day of FOREVER and pleads for those who will choose to do the same. Wait and trust....He yearns for their heart far more than we know how to.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jen.

Monica and I think this is something that you'll excel at. We'd like to keep in touch and send you a little moola to help get you started. I'll look for your addy on the website, but if it's not there, send it to me via email.

Our love,
Matt and Monica