Friday, July 22, 2005

Day 1 Report

Well it's official, we're in Honduras and it didn't take long for our hearts to be touched...crushed...hmmm you never really can find the right word for that exactly.

We hopped in on the tail end of Terry's trip, so they're winding things down and so yesterday they began the day by going to the Valley of the Angels to look in their trade shops. Mark and Connie got to shop and get some goodies and we were able to make it to the guitar makers shop and listen to him play which was amazing...he is way good!!

From there we journeyed to Campero's which is a chicken place. Sort of like KFC in the states only better. We had lunch there. As we were finishing lunch Tim and Judy and Brett came walking in with this sweet family of a mother and three boys. (For those of you who were here with me in March, you'll remember me begging Tim to take me to see Eduardo and his family...the family we had painted the house for and that I had sat with this little guy all afternoon and sang with, who walked me to the end of the lane and hung on the side of the Rodeo telling me how much he would miss me...one of my favorite moments in Honduras kiddos.) It was his family and I got to see him during lunch. HG...happy girl!! Although some might have mistaken my joy because of the tears on my face. I don't know how to explain this except to say that sometimes you have isolated moments here where you connect with another soul so deeply and you give yourself away never knowing if you'll ever see them again and there's this ache in knowing that. Today when I kissed his little cheek, and remembered singing Jesus Loves Me with him and him being by my side for an entire day and his little hand in mine walking down that lane as I had to leave, it was a thank you God moment that I was able to see his face again. Perhaps the best part was in my limited Spanish I tried to ask and motion to him...do you remember when I came to paint your house and he said "si, si...Jennifer." He remembered my name. With a tidal wave from a touched heart I was reminded these aren't just ineffective one time short term moments for them either, they get etched on their little hearts and they remember. May we love like Jesus enough that it makes an indelible mark on these childrens souls.

I also got to speak with the mother of the boys there, she smiled and was so kind. After dinner and I had eaten my 7 nuggets and whole mess of papas fritas (french fries), I offered the two nuggets I had left over to the boys and they had just eaten and so were full and didn't want them. The mother stood there and with pleading, do you mind eyes, motioned as if to say do you mind if I take them. Two chicken nuggets and she wrapped them with great care up in a napkin and stuck them in this little doggie bag to take home for later and said thank you at least three times with a beaming smile. She held onto that little bag as if it held gold treasure. It's funny after you've been here a couple times how you feel as if you are more prepared for this. I was not prepared for that and it was the first 2 x 4 applied to the heart. Truth is I'm still an American who is blessed beyond what I deserve and I don't understand ... I really don't get it and I'm learning that to pretend like I can even truly relate is a complete insult. Being here and seeing it and even serving in the middle of it does not equate to living it. I will never know the feeling in that mother's heart as she tries to feed her children and thinks she hit the jackpot over two chicken nuggets. AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

We left Campero's and went to the Suyapa which is this huge Catholic Cathedral that holds a tragic story for the culture of Honduras. I'll elaborate on that at some other point, basically the gest is that this priest said that he had gotten a vision from Mary to build this HUGE cathedral went to the Vatican and pitched his idea to get funding and they said, we don't really think you got a vision and we're not going to financially support this. So he came back to this impoverished country and convinced his people that he had seen a vision and compelled them to give millions of dollars to build this building. It is ornate and beautiful, and tragic because right across the road from this structure are houses that are falling down where gates are locked between the two worlds and those people are not invited or allowed in to pray even. I wonder, if in different ways we do the same sorts of things without realizing it? I thought about that yesterday alot. Maybe not in such visible ways...but I think we remove ourselves sometimes from the hurting places in the world as we walk inside those church doors. Ok enough about that, perhaps just food for thought.

Then from there, treat above all treats, we got to go to the blind school. (Kelsey I'm sorry to even have to write this without you being here with us.) For those of you who don't know, the blind school here is a home for children who are blind where they receive an education and also get to live in the quarters there. They have roughly 60 students or so, some who commute back and forth from home just to come for schooling and some who live there full time. It's always amazing how much clearer your sight becomes after being with these kiddos. We play in the courtyard with them for a while passing out toys and candy and just spending time with these children. Mark had this boy climbing all over him feeling his muscles and bringing his friends over to feel his arms. It was hilarious. Connie was definitely in her element as these were the types of children she had worked with earlier in life. The playing with the children is always sweet time but the magic happens when you walk inside and take a seat to listen to them sing. Oh my heaven hold our hearts...angels singing that's all I've got. They sit there with their little blind eyes swaying to the music and children harmonize in ways that leave glorybumps all over your arms and tears running down your cheeks. It is absolutely amazing and that falls far short of doing it justice. They begged us to sing Someday for them as they LOVE that song and so we did and we sang a few songs for them and ended with Lord Be There...halfway in the middle of the song Tim said listen and started the verse Lord Be There FOR THEM when they fall, Be there for them when they call, Be there for them dear Lord. I don't remember another time taking so incredibly seriously the words I was singing as if begging God for his provision on their behalf. Tears everywhere...Tim and Mark needed a "Timmy towel" for sure. It just is so touching there is no other response as you watch this. It just leaks out your eyeballs.

We then came home and had dinner and went to devo and on a very personal note I got to spend some time with my dear friend Terry after devo. I know you've heard me mention his name and most of you know he's Nate's dad. What you may not know is that I would lay down in the middle of the road for this man. He's one of those kind of people in my world. I came early actually praying for some time to spend with Margaret and Terry. I got to sit with Margaret on the bus ride and we got to just share some time and some heart which we don't have the privilege of doing very often anymore. It was precious to me. If Margaret and I don't cry together once during a visit, it's not complete. :):) Let's just say this visit has been complete! Anyway, Terry and I sat and talked for a while and I got an opportunity to as how he was feeling and if he was worried and we just got some really sweet moments together where I got to remind him how much he means to me and how much I appreciate him and Margaret walked in as we were finishing up our chat and I said let's say a prayer together before we go to bed...so I got to pray with and for them tonight and of all the things I will end up most grateful for on this trip, that will be near the top of my list. My heart hurts for them and I've not sat beside anyone I've known and loved as they struggle through not knowing about what's going to happen with life. So needless to say it was rough on the heartstrings.

PLEASE CONTINUE TO PRAY FOR HIM!! THINGS ARE DIFFICULT AND IT'S HARD TO MAINTAIN HOPE WHEN YOU HAVEN'T RECOVERED FROM THE LAST TREATMENTS AND ARE FINDING MORE SPOTS. HE NEEDS AN ARMY OF PRAYER WHO WILL TRUST IN A MIGHTY GOD!!

Far less important but equally as precious to me, I need your prayers in these next several hours that I get to spend with them before their trip ends that my heart will be steadfast to do that which God has called me to. It's been a blessed day...sometimes even blessed days have really tough moments!

Today we are going to Didasko to see the new playground and play with the children. Poppa Grose, today I so wish you could be here with me. Please know that although it's not the same, I'll hug on Norma for you and that I appreciate the privilege far more because I know how much it means to you guys so I pray not to take one second of it for granted.

Connie's loving it and Mark's loving her getting to experience it!! It's been good!!

We love and miss you all!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey dad and connie! tony told my mom i could leave you all comments this way... this is really neat... have fun! i will read the posts as often as i remember...is there any other way to get in touch??

Anonymous said...

Hey guys!!!

Jen, I am so glad you got to visit with the guitar guy at the Valley of Angels. Isn't he awesome??!!!! I sat hear in the kitchen tonight reading all of this with tears pouring down my face. It doesn't take much to make all those memories coming flooding back like a tidal wave. Every time you mention a place you visited, I instantly think of a child that grabbed my heart from there. Is little Alajandro still there at Didasko??

Connie and Mark - So has Connie's heart been ripped out yet?? Also wanted to know if Tim gave Mark the his WSB towel yet? I am so glad Connie is there this time to share this with you dude!! Can't wait until April. So, uuh, Mark, how's the shutdown going?? What is this - day 3?? Shouldn't be long now before it blows. HTP baby!!!

The girls were here at the house today with LeAnn for a while and are doing great! Love you all bunches - wish I could catch a flight down tomorrow.

Seek Him.

Marc T said...

Jen, Tomorrow 175 of my closest friends and I will be joining you, Mark & Connie. It is awesome that Karen is coming too.
It's gonna be a great day in Honduras.
Love ya'
Marc