Friday, August 26, 2005

The House of Hope

Dedicated to a little girl whose name I'll not know and whose face I'll never forget. She was the first of many who stole my heart at the Casitas Kennedy orphanage in Tegucigalpa, Honduras. She was the beginning of my realization that God was doing something in my heart in this land. Pray for her and the thousands like her who are desperate for "home."


There's a little girl in a foreign world
And she looks somewhat like me
She's got brown hair
She's got brown eyes
And they're staring back at me

She reaches out her tiny arms
Wanting so badly to be held
I pick her up and I start to rock
And her eyes close against my chest

Five moments of love
And sleep sweetly comes
I wonder how long it had been

Her face is fixed within my mind
And my soul feels her eyes desperate plea
Is there anyone out there in this world
Who will find some love in their heart for me?

With one little face and those pleading eyes
The question endlessly plays out in my mind
Will you please go and be my heart and my hands
To those sweet little children in this plight

What choice can you make
When you hear His voice say
Will you please...
I've come to a time and a place in my life
That to leave will hurt far less than to stay

Some moments in time deserve to be freezed
Some moments you wish you could frame
When God's love looks into those great big brown eyes
And says would you like to go "home"
Praise be to God, I think will be one

The House of Hope how fitly named
A refuge from all they have known
No more days filled with hunger
No more nights on the streets
And a chance to call Jesus their own

What undeserved kindness from God's gentle hands
What a privilege He offers to me
Help me Lord understand this incredible gift
Of your purpose worked out within me

May I touch every child with the tenderness of Your heart
May they feel the warmth of Your hand
May I look at their hearts with the depth of Your sight
May they feel Your love in this land

May I delight in the mornings with sleepy little eyes
Who have never been wrapped up in a hug in their life
May we kneel down each night and bow our heads low
As we thank You for the gift of this time

For all that will come through this one little girl
Who's eyes bore a place in my soul
For all that will be because of Your kindness to me
Lord, I thank you for buiding this "home."

No comments: