Wednesday, August 17, 2005

A Life With Purposed Steps

I was getting so bored with black text, time for a change for a post or two...

I picked up the Purpose Driven Life to read again as we are getting ready to move through the 40 days of Purpose starting in October and I wanted to refresh on some of the things I gained from reading that book. My book is highlighted and written all over, as I've read it a few times now. I don't have to read very many words in that book before I'm reminded of the importance of walking out purposed steps.

Rick Warren says that an average life span is 25,550 days if you're typical. So I sat down yesterday and thought ok so on my 28th birthday that meant I had spent how many of my days....10,220. Which leaves me a remaining balance of 15,330 days. Okay lots of numbers, this is what I realized.

I've spent 10,220 days of my life attempting to figure out what I was sent here by God to do. I didn't know for much of that time that I cared about what He had sent me here to do but by the time I did realize it, the answers didn't come instantly. So a little over a third of my life was spent finding a relationship with God and desiring to walk it out. It's sobering to realize how many days are past and to really reflect on the ways I chose to spend them.

Here's the beautiful part...I have almost 2/3 of my life left (assuming an average life span) to live the life out of every day. To walk with steps that are purposed to move towards His heart. I had a friend who used to say well Jen everyday we have a choice we either take a step toward Him or a step away we never stay right in the same place. I've come to realize that's true. Today I will either serve people or I'll serve myself. I've had to create some disciplined ways to MAKE myself serve others. For instance...I try to send one email a day encouraging someone in my world. Takes me only a few minutes and it reminds me that I'm not the center of the universe and teaches me to be a cheerleader in ways that matter. I've begun praying each morning ok Lord show me ways to serve You and others today in ways that my human eyes wouldn't see, I need your help. He has been faithful.

I'm just convinced that when we get the purpose of our being here lined up with His heart, we'll walk purposed steps and the world will notice that we look different. If you've spent any time with people who deeply understand their purpose and live like it you'll know what I mean. They look different, they stress out less in long lines and they look for people to love on, they don't complain so much because they trust God to make decisions that are for them not against them, they live above the junk life throws at us at moments. They have a peace that exudes to you just from being around them, they're joyful beyond what seems to be normal, they love deeply and for real. They look "different."

I don't know about you but I want the remaining number of my days to be purposed. To be purposed to love Him and others the way He would want me to, so that anyone taking even half a second to look would realize that I love Him so much it hurts sometimes and I'm gonna love them with His heart.

No comments: